Thursday, February 22, 2007

Photography

Do you ever see a picture someone took and think that it has such a unique and artistic perspective that you can't imagine how they saw it or how they figured out that this would look cool in a photograph?

I have found that I still have a lot of learning to do before I can have a good eye for artistic photography. I am sure that there are rules that people can learn and follow to make their pictures look interesting, but people just have to have talent, right? People who are great photographers are able to capture an ordinary scene in an extraordinary way. I am always fascinated by how they discover these unique points of view.

Whenever I am in the situation of taking pictures, I always find myself torn between capturing the moment as it really was, trying to get as much detail and memory packed into the picture, and, on the other hand, trying to make the photograph as visually appealing as possible. In viewing photos of people who choose the latter method, I find the scene much more memorable even though I wasn't there. It is almost like a dream that I can live or imagine. In viewing my own photos, I find it hard to feel the same way, and desire to relive the memory as it was. I bet that other people who view my memories are completely bored, as I would be with someone's uninteresting photos lacking unique perspective. I think that going forward, I would like to share my memories with others in a unique and artistic way so that they can imagine my memory for themselves.

No comments: